Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Matjes Herring and Fried Potatoes


Having satisfied my hunger for Turkish food, I decide to go eat GERMAN!
Which is not easy, on my way home I am passing: Lebanese; 3 or 4 types of asian, Italian, Australian (!!), Spanish. French. It is very German NOT to eat German. But I feel the urge, finally I rediscover a little place I saw a couple of days earlier: The "Ratsherrn Stube" (roughly the "City Council member's Inn" Ratsherrn Pilsener was, in my humble opinion, one of the finest beers in Hamburg, possibly in the country, unfortunately in the year before I left Hamburg, the "Elbschloesschen-brewery", a tiny brewery along the Elbe river was bought up by "Holsten" the big and nasty brewery, which made itself known to me by odorizing my old neighbourhood in  Altona with a obnoxious brewery smell also typical for their beer "Holsten knallt am dollsten" "Holsten, biggest bang for a beer" So they say here. Naturally, Ratsherrn Pilsner was never the same afterwards. Anyway I am ordering a Hefeweizen (Weissbier). Its summer after all!! and guess what? the Hefeweizen is from the "Koenig Ludwig Brewery" close to my hometown in Bavaria!

all tastes wonderful and I am very much at peace with myself. For dumb luck I find an unlocked wireless right in the beer garden so I can do some life -reporting here!!! Guess the innkeepers must think I'm a high income Consultant who works nonstop heehee!!!  ;-)) The Matjes (marinated herring, aged in barrels, is not the best one I ever had (a bit dry) but still overall this is exactly what my stomach asked for!!!! GREAT!!!

German food is notoriously underrated! There are plenty of good things you guys should discover! ;-)))

Lets see what the evening will bring.  

1 comment:

  1. Ratsherrn...well, i'll rather stay with Flens, but agree with the Holsten-Theorem ;)

    btw.: Party on saturday confirmed, removal postponed until next tuesday for f$#*+=/!! reasons...

    ¡Bienvenido a hamburgo, el returnado! :)))

    ReplyDelete