Sunday, February 21, 2010

Shopping experiences and mental "re-germanification"

Chinese Supermarket. Hamburg, St. Georg, near the central railway station.
Long Line at the cashier, I got my stuff (frozen dumplings, rice, various hot sauces, a few hard-to-get vegetables) on the little conveyor belt to the cashier. When it is my turn, an asian lady in front of me is grabbing my stuff. I interfer, "excuse me, I believe this is mine". She keeps on packing into bags. I am confused! Since I try to get my stuff together and she keeps on packing into bags... I am getting nervous, that I may loose my stuff. So I try to insist: "excuse me, I think you are packing my groceries in your bags"
Well , finally the customer behind me clarifies: "she is packing FOR YOU""they do that here, I had to get used to that too at first"


*****

BOAH!!!!!BUMMER!!!!!!!

*****

HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE!!!  OMG!!!!

I am back too long!! I got used so much to the German-supermarket practice, you pay and at the very same time you are supposed to have your stuff packed away, because if you don't you will have the next -annoyed- customers stuff pushed right on top of your groceries and you have a hard time to find out what belongs to you or to him/her.

Hell, I am SO STUPID, already this German supermarket -thing has settled SO much into my habits that I do not recognize anymore, if it is different, actually if its the way I had it for the whole 9 years in San Diego!!!

Guess I am rapidly re-Germanizing ;-)) Well, THATS a novel way to make  a fool out of myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment