Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Great Big Waber




Ok just came back. And I have to say I'm a little bit disappointed. The "Great Big Waber" The poster is great and lets me expect the big thrill. I think the picture is somewhere between a 1930's mystic show and Saddam Hussein being tortured and executed in a movie theater . And probably that is what I was hoping for this evening, naturally my expectations are not fulfilled. Getting there is (at least for me, easy, thank God I know the way). On the other hand: wandering at night into the 7th floor of an unlit, abandoned office building is not everybody's piece of cake. It awakens memories of "Clockwork Orange". Luckily I'm not a woman. Also luckily I'm not on the search (Hello, Hui!) because this is NOT the place to meet single women, each of whom has likely failed the test of courage.

When I get upstairs it is rather empty. After walking through the exhibits, I make my way to the bar. One beer is 2 Euros "suggestion for a voluntary donation" I love the art world! The exhibits are a bit disappointing, last time I was here I have seen some more interesting stuff: I like the line of dirt connecting two flower pots through several rooms:


Maybe not too impressive on the picture but in reality it certainly has something.


The branch of leaves is nice too, note my beer at the window, blending in seamlessly.
No, honestly, I do like this kind of artwork, although it is hard to grasp initially.


I have another beer: Comfortable couches and red/blue/green oscillating paper balloon lamps invite for a stay. Its not too cold either, as the organizers have set up a gas stove. The music is very nice actually some offbeat-latin-brazillo-funk-electro-jazz. I like it very much. I try Shazam: "Unrecognized" I try three more songs, same result every time. OK. Conclusion: when "Shazam" knows it, it must be terribly boring mainstream. Unfortunately nobody is with the music. Only metal boxes. To hell with MP3!! Where are the times when one could just ASK, hey, who is playing that?? Resolution of the evening: Next time I will be more investigative.



My only conversation with somebody new is with a short-haired MD student, she sits next to me on the couch. Hell, all those art people and I get to talk with an MD!!

Good thing : my new place will be really close, so I can come more often before it will be leveled for the new IKEA building. That might keep the "Waber"in the house, but then it will be the name for a bookshelf. Or a lava-lamp. ;-)

BTW already there is protest forming, the artscene doesn't want to loose its latest hideout (=art studios for free!!): They distribute adhesive stickers (in blue-and-yellow: "IKEA- Idioten kaufen echt alles (Idiots buy really everything). Although it is filling up gradually, I decide to leave, also because I'm still a virus-shedding coughing misery (not as bad as yesterday or even worse wednesday and thursday). So I have time to type this little report for you guys before I go to bed now. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment