Sunday, July 5, 2009

"Is ja ganz Schön Leben an der Schanze heute, was?"


..back at the Milkbar.
here my little report about the "Schanzenfest"yesterday night. First for dinner with an old friend (yes, there are some left here,most have moved away though: 9 Years, what can you say?

While walking through the streetfest area: plenty of police all around at one spot a row of about 10 cops in heavy body-armor (-helmets, shields, shin protectors, heavy gloves- good for them its not as hot as it was yesterday...)unfortunately I don't have my camera with me, my friend (she's blonde) would have been a nice addition to this menacingly-looking group of uniforms. Not sure if these guys are up for ironic actions though, so better that way.
After dinner, I can smell smoke, there are sirens and occasional loud noises from big firecrackers. No, its not from burning cars! (last year they had that) just a paper-recycling bin on fire: smoldering smoke and a firefighter-car. However at the street-festival the "traditional" annual riots have commenced. My friend is worried, so we take the long detour. plenty of police, the streets are closed for traffic into the quarter. My bicycle is right in the middle, so after dropping her off at the subway, I make my way back. Nobody stops me. plenty of kids with beer are sitting on the stairs on the side of the street, waiting for the spectacle. After a while the big green trucks with water cannons arrive. A single guy is arrested and surrounded by maybe 10 cops, I can barely see him. Some passers-by start a chant: "LET-HIM-GO-LET-HIM-GO!" another squad of armoured guys moves "coordinated" down the street. It looks like they are running away (of course they got some orders) people clap in the rythm of the cops feet running.... ;-) 

5 minutes later the water-cannons arrive. Loudspeakers ask for people leaving towards the subway and "bystanders, please clearly distance yourself from the troublemakers, or we will use physical force including the water cannons." "people , move back to the subway, yes also you two guys to the left with the plastic bags" After a few beer bottles hit on the truck, the watercannons fire, and some kids stand in heroic poses soaked in the water: the cellphones still seem to work, two minutes later I hear one of the soaked guys reporting: "Boy, here's full the action going on, you guys gotta come on over!!"
Some trailer is rolled in front of the watercannon-truck. The police asks for removal: "Remove the trailer immediately, yes, you guys there, help a little!!"  I guess they are worried. the trailer is sprayed aside by the force of the water-cannon. I am contemplating to get my camera, but then decide to leave the battleground. its maybe a bit too voyeuristic. And the water comes dangerously close. I am resisting the urge to get my camera from home, buy another beer and  join the other spectators.

At home on the balcony, I meet the neighbour from the other side: Pointing to the sirens and yelling voices across the buildings, he smiles and comments: 
"Quite lively, the "Schanze" tonight, hm?" 
"Is ja ganz schön Leben, an der Schanze heute, was?"

http://www1.ndr.de/nachrichten/hamburg/schanzenfest100.html

As I said , its a spectacle/game, not a revolution. But some do get hurt, thats not OK.

Right now I am waiting for my laundry.

More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment