Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Late night dinner






Yesterday I had take-out indian food from the "Weidengrill" A little takeout place with "Indian and German Specialties". Odd? YES. I wonder: The owner (Khan) seems to have some dry sense of humor: A woman comes into the store; "Hey, Khan, did I pay you for the tobacco already?" she yells to him in the back. He comes up front: "Alzheimer" is all he says. We have a short conservation about German and Indian food and the relationship between Chicken Curry and the German iconic takeout food "Currywurst". Khan: "Yeah I know the Germans like to eat their sausages.. I don't sell too much indian mostly currywurst and the german stuff. I do get the Lamb Curry though (yes, spicy is OK). At home I relize :its GOOD!!!!!

I DISCOVERED A NEW STAPLE FOR MY LOCAL LIFE.

Today it is late (after the park& blogwriting) but since I didn't have dinner, I leave home and ride my bike back into the "Schanze" (my neighborhood). Khan is closed already. I am surprised, after all its only 11:15. Thats what happens if the blogwriting takes over. But the "Falafel-Factory" is still buzzing from life. I am ordering a falafel and an "Alsterwasser" in a can (its like a "shanty": beer and clear lemon soda). A girl orders after me, she's on the phone: Mac Donald's is closed, I am getting a Falafel, shall I get you a Falafel too? Its GREAT to live in a city where Mac Donald's closes before the local middle estern takeout. Watching the people, there are some quite interesting characters out on the streets here on a semi-late wednesday night. An older guy, potbelly, with long grey hair, and a felt hat is trying to order a Lahmaçun (turkish Pizza, as some call it...) But its a Falafel place. He doesn't get it. The guy behind the counter explains to him , but he doesn't seem too receptive. A guy without shirt and tight pants walks along, he is tattooed all over. Three guys who look like the dumb-but-goodhearted gangster characters from "Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels" enter the local "Spielhalle" (Gambling hall). its a greasy looking place with a yellow sign. they come back out after half a minute.
A flock of 15-year-old teenage girls is crossing the street towards the subway: By US-standards this place is Sodom and Gomorra. I feel very much at home. ;-)

Goodnight, gotta get up early tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment