Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Another Saturday night...


......

... I've got some money 'cause I just got paid" (Sam Cooke) ;-)




Since its saturday and I'm in the mood for activities, I decide to go out: As I believe in the magic of posters in the streets this is how I decide: already a while ago I came across a poster of the "Disco Boys" two VERY nerdy looking, slightly chubby DJ guys whose style looks promising to me. they are playing tonight (So in fact yesterday night, too tired yesterday to write).
Here comes the first thing I have to adapt to: The concert starts at 11pm (23h). I am spending the time until its late enough watching "The Third Man (Orson Welles)"using my still functional Netflix account (VPN is the magic word). Hamburg is a late town. No dinner at 6:30, 7ish like in the US (well, maybe 6:30am, THAT could be happening...)
They are playing in a place called "Übel und Gefährlich" (roughly: "Nasty and Dangerous") which I look up on my iPhone (YESSSS) "Feldstrasse 66" It turns out to be that enormous WW II bunker, which held anti-aircraft cannons back in the days. (FLAK-turm) It was never removed, for the sheer monstrosity of the building: Concrete walls, several meters thick. breaking this thing down would cost millions and take years. No way to blow it up, it would take half of Hamburg along. So this is the home of the "Disco Boys" for tonight. And also for me!

I arrive and the line is long. Good sign. After about 45 minutes I'm at the door: Admission is 12 Euro, not so bad, I had expected more.




Its crowded and hot. The stairwells are impressive (Foto). I have never been inside here, although everybody in Hamburg knows the building. The "Ballroom" is on the top (elevator) and has a little rooftop patio with a gorgeous view of the city (picture). I dance a little, the music is good (since I like electro and dance music). I have beer (3 Euro, not bad at all!). surprisingly its easy to get although the place is packed.
Surprisingly its not bad being out alone: In a club, one never gets to have conversation anyway -too loud!

At 3 I am starting to feel a bit like I am waiting for something to happen, and before I develop stupid ideas I decide, time to leave. I make a stop at the bathroom: when I get out again a girl approaches me: "We're from "Energy" Can I take your picture?" I say, "sure"
"We are looking for cool people" I am flattered, of course. Well, then; I'm probably a good piece older than 90% of the people here, guess that makes me stand out. (nonsense! its because I'm "El Tomasssoooo"!!!!) ;-))) Or is it the hat?
As a "reward" I receive an envelope with a condom (!)
Hm, am I missing out on something here?

"Here on my own" had to go!! I could not figure out how to turn off the "autoplay" feature, sorry, you can still find it on YouTube though.... Its a great song, good dancing! German music, after all! ;-)

(Thomas)

1 comment: